Cinnamon Date Muffins {Gluten-Free + Vegan + Sugar-Free}

by Guest Blogger on October 29, 2013 · 17 comments

By Chef Raya Belna

Cinnamon Date Muffins {Gluten-Free + Vegan + Sugar-Free}

Looking for a perfect side dish to bring to an upcoming holiday festivity or family get-together? For dinner or breakfast paired with a cup of tea or hot cocoa, you can enjoy this comfort food – sans the sugar (and guilt)!

yield: 12

• 2 c gluten-free oat flour
  • 12 oz medjool dates, seeded; reserve a few for garnish
  • 1 honey crisp apple, cored
  • 1 c filtered water
  • 1/2 c chia or flax powder + 3/4 c water
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

1.) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

2.) Stir together chia powder and 3/4 c water until a gel forms. Set aside.

3.) In high speed blender, combine apple, dates, water, and oil until smooth. Stir mixture into chia gel.

4.) Sift in dry ingredients slowly until well integrated.

5.) Stir in apple cider vinegar last.

6.) Spoon into lightly greased muffin tin. Garnish tops with chopped reserved dates.

7.) Bake at 375 degrees for 22 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Lorena October 29, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I am definitely trying this recipe this weekend!!

Ron & Lisa Beres October 29, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Oh, fantastic Lorena! Let us know how they turn out. We’ll be trying them out, too, for the holidays and can’t wait!

Jenny October 30, 2013 at 5:04 am

Thanks! This looks delicious, will definitely be sharing soon :)

Ron & Lisa October 30, 2013 at 9:24 am

Thanks for stopping by Jenny! Delish and nutrish – our favorite combo :) Enjoy

Helene October 30, 2013 at 6:27 am

Printing NOW. Both my parents are gluten-free and I LOVE that I have a delectable editable to bring to the holidays. Thanks!

Ron & Lisa October 30, 2013 at 9:26 am

Yes, we have many family members that need to watch their sugar intake, so this is a nice treat that won’t make anyone feel like they are compromising taste (or loaded with artificial sweeteners)! Happy (early) holidays!

Summer October 30, 2013 at 6:47 pm

This sounds and looks so delish! I will definitely bring this to our Thanksgiving feast. I’m in Boulder, so tons of friends are gluten-free and sugar conscious. Thank you!

Ron & Lisa October 31, 2013 at 9:35 am

Sounds great Summer!
Yes, we love the passion for health in the state of Colorado. Haven’t been to Boulder (yet), but looking soo forward to it one of these days – we hear it is beautiful!!

webly November 2, 2013 at 11:38 am

I want to try this for my son. I hate to confess that sometimes I give them the gluten loaded stuff. I can make this in batch for a much healthier alternative.

Ron & Lisa November 2, 2013 at 11:51 am

Oh, we all do the best we can Webly! But, yes, making a batch of this is a great idea. Also, we have a ton of gluten-free recipes that you may enjoy as well in our Healthy Food section. Enjoy: http://ronandlisa.com/category/healthy-food/

April November 3, 2013 at 10:55 am

WOW! Sounds full-on delish!!! Can’t wait to try it!!

Ron & Lisa November 3, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Great April!
Let us know how they turn out. Such a great + easy recipe for the the fall & winter months that is healthy, too :)

Ashley November 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Oh these were great!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe I’m always looking for snack recipes for my little and hubby, definitely should have made a double batch though! :)

Ron & Lisa November 11, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Hi Ashley!
Thanks for your feedback and tip on doubling up. That seems to be the consistent theme here, so duly noted! Healthy holidays to you & yours.

Kath @ Natural Kath December 8, 2013 at 8:37 am

I love finding fruit sweetened desserts! Thank you for sharing this.

Ron & Lisa Beres December 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Absolutely! They are even more fun to find when they’re guilt-free like this one :) Thanks for your comment.

Jen November 22, 2016 at 1:52 pm

My daughter and I loved these, but we felt there was a strong after taste. We were trying to figure out what it was. We wondered if it was the flax meal or if it was to much baking soda or baking powder? Any suggestions? We really want to get it right, since they are so good!