DEODORANT DANGERS: Ingredients to Lose & Those to Choose

by Guest Blogger on October 30, 2012 · 41 comments

By Ava Anderson

Want B.O.? Heck no. We all want to smell good. But, more than likely, your deodorant really stinks!

It can be extremely confusing when you are instructed to “avoid this,” “do that” or “never-ever use this or that!” What products, you may be asking, Am I supposed to use and trust?  Similar to our recent articles where we explain what to avoid in everyday personal care items, we are revealing the skinny on deodorant and what makes so many name brands well, STINK!

Deodorant is applied daily (if not more) directly to one of the body’s most sensitive and porous areas – the armpit.  Whatever you apply to your armpit (similar to your head and groin) is absorbed through the skin and into the bloodstream.  Typical brand name deodorants contain a stew of toxic chemicals such as aluminum, propylene glycol, parabens and triclosan.

When choosing a deodorant, be sure to read the labels.  Yup, you’ve heard this from me before!  Look for all natural and organic ingredients.  If you’re unsure about an ingredient, look it up!  Although, if you’ve been down this path before, you are probably aware that it’s impossible to find an organic deodorant that really works (HINT – we’ve got one below that truly does)!

WHAT TO LOSE:

Aluminum – is a metal, which is used in antiperspirants to help block the sweat from escaping the pores. Aluminum has been linked to breast cancer in women and has also been linked to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

Parabens – are suspected of disrupting the body’s delicate hormonal balance. This can lead to things including early puberty in children and an increased risk of hormonal cancers – including breast cancer. Exposure has also been linked to birth defects and organ toxicity.

Propylene Glycol – is a petroleum based chemical that is used to soften cosmetic products. In large quantities, studies have shown that it can cause damage to the central nervous system, liver and heart. It is found in many products and many processed foods.

Fragrance – can legally hide hundreds of chemicals. One of these is phthalates (THAL ates), which have been linked to a variety of health issues. High phthalate blood and urine levels in women of child bearing age have been linked to a higher risk of birth defects. This suggests that phthalates may disrupt hormone receptors as well as increase the likelihood of cell mutation.

Triclosan – is classified as a pesticide by the FDA, and a probable carcinogen by the EPA. Enough said.

BHT – (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) in addition to causing hyperactivity in children, BHT (and BHA) are considered carcinogens by the US Department of Health and Human Services.  The Skin Deep site rates BHT as having a “high toxic hazard” and says it has been shown to be linked to cancer, developmental toxicity, allergies, neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, biochemical or cellular level change.

As noted in the SF Gate, “Chemicals such as Methylparaben and BPA mimic or interfere with the body’s endocrine or hormonal systems.”

WHAT TO CHOOSE

Come over to the sweet smelling side!  After several years of extensive testing and research, I’m thrilled to share that we have just launched Ava Organic Deodorant; formulated with certified organic ingredients and no harmful chemicals.  Best of all, it REALLY, REALLY WORKS!

Ava Organic Deodorant Ingredients:  organic coconut oil, organic beeswax, organic shea butter, organic cocoa butter, aluminum-free baking soda, organic arrowroot powder, organic tea tree oil and organic peppermint oil.

At Ava Anderson we are all about prevention because we are “aware” already of the toxins and dangers that exist in most products!  Hence, October was the perfect month to launch this fantastic product for men, women and teens.

WHERE CAN I BUY Ava Anderson Non Toxic Deodorant? Ava Anderson Non Toxic products can be purchased via a consultant or online HERE!

sandi October 30, 2012 at 10:28 am

I started using this deodorant the minute it was released. Not only does it smell wonderful, i mean who doesn’t love to smell minty, but it WORKS. Don’t have to worry about smelling bad and happy that I don’t have to worry what I am applying to my body. Another great product by Ava Anderson. Thank you

Ron & Lisa October 30, 2012 at 10:55 am

Thanks for sharing your personal feedback Sandi! I can’t wait to try it myself. I {Lisa} know I’m going to looove it already. Ron & I are beyond thrilled to see this product come to fruition as there really hasn’t been a comparable deodorant to date available for purchase…that works & is organic!!

Erin Arvizu October 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

Not only do I LOVE this deodorant, my husband does too! It took a little convincing, but he has offically switched…and as an Ironworker, he truly puts this deodorant to the test! He certainly looks filthy when he walks in after a long days work, but he’s not smelly. All of us at Wild Orchid Baby love Ava :)

Trina October 30, 2012 at 11:37 am

Can’t say enough about the deodorant! All of my customers so far have said this is the best non toxic organic deodorant they have ever used, myself included. No sweat, no smell, no toxins equals perfect!

Tara Ali October 30, 2012 at 11:42 am

I’m SO glad I’ve found a SAFE deodorant to use that actually works! Way to go, Ava!

Jessica October 30, 2012 at 11:53 am

I have been using Ava’s deodorant from 5 days now…..I even did hours of heavy, sweaty yard work without getting stinky!! Love the stuff!!

Christy October 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Ava, VERY informative article…as always! I LOVE YOUR DEODORANT!!! It is amazing! Really unbelievable. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mimi October 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Ava’s deodorant has worked to keep me dry as well! I’m very excited to have this safe option for myself, family and friends.

Melnaie October 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm

My husband and I have both been using the new Ava deodorant since day one and LOVE it! It smells awesome, goes on super smooth, and actually works!

Terri October 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I use Magnesium Oil. Works like a charm for all sorts of things, especially migraines, anxiety, pain and deodorant

Lyndsi October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I am in love with Ava’s new deodorant! I’ve tried many “natural” deodorants and none of them worked. This one not only works but it is awesome organic ingredients and more affordable than the other brands I tried out. Thank you so much Ava, this is a product that everyone needs!!

Catherine October 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I switched both mine and my husband’s deodorants to Ava’s deodorant the minute it came out. SUCCESS!!! It works well, smells great and is safe. You can always count on Ava for the best SAFE quality products. Thanks again!!!

Ginger October 30, 2012 at 5:33 pm

LOVE this deodorant….never think Ava will be able to pull it off, but she did it again!!! 3boys, 1husband and I all use and love especially after trying many ‘natural’ deodorants out there as well as untraditional methods of odor control! My husband just requested a spare for his drawer at work! I didn’t know he had a spare at work AND he never used any of the other ‘safe’ deodorants more than once or twice!

Beth October 31, 2012 at 2:54 am

Great article- I’ve been particularly concerned about deodorants because 0f the carcinogens and aluminum (which has been linked to alzheimers as well) and have been trying to find a non toxic product that works.

I’ve tried so many non toxic deodorants, none of them work. THIS ONE DOES!

Andrea November 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

Ok, let’s talk stink. I swear I have have tried every natural form of deodorant on the market and within and hour or two have either thrown it out or ad to reapply. The closest I ever got was one I could get away with apply three times daily. Do you have that time? I know I don’t.

When I first heard Ava Anderson had come out with a deodorant I rolled my eyes and like I had done with so many deodorants before, ordered it immediately.

What I found continues to SHOCK ME. Not only do I not need to reapply during the day, I can wake up the next morning for my shower and still not smell! I feel so good about these ingredients. I love Ava’s products and yes, I just smelled my pits. They still smell like mint chocolate chip ice cream!

Ginger November 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Well said! I entirely agree!

Jena November 2, 2012 at 5:30 am

I’ve tried EVERY organic deodorant on the market and they’re not kidding, THIS REALLY WORKS!

I’m SO thankful to have found a deodorant that is not harmful for my body – that REALLY WORKS!

THANKS AVA!

Zaidi November 2, 2012 at 10:06 am

the perfume EVA, is a deodorant that makes you live in flexibility and elegance,,, a fragrance that inspires our feelings, it makes me feel and live in a very beautiful and wonderful smell

momblogger November 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I’ve been trying LOADS of natural deoderants and this one is the winner. Bravo, Ava.

Sophia November 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm

This is the best deodorant I have ever used. I needed to wear a 48 hour medical device and could not shower. At the end of the 48 hours I was still odor free. Luckily, that is not my normal grooming habit, but it was a true testament to the power of the product!! Great, safe product.

Shelby November 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Great Article Ava!! Can’t wait to try the new deodorant.

Crystal February 24, 2013 at 9:15 am

Does this work as a antiperspirant too? I’ve tried several natural deodorants that prevented odor, but did nothing for wetness.

Ginger February 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm

i have had no issues….i have used many many various types of natural deodorants as well…many went back to whole foods (grateful to them for that!) as they didn’t work or made me smell worse than not wearing anything! there were some that made me feel more wet than i was without any as well…again i personally have no issues with my avaDEODORANT and have a growing following that agree! :)

Ron & Lisa February 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hi Crystal~
We currently have this discussion going on on our Facebook page here: http://on.fb.me/VGGGXp
Our recommended brands are ‘deodorants’ and not antiperspirants. This is because the latter blocks pores (using aluminum – linked to breast cancer). However, sweating is our bodies way of detoxifying naturally & releasing toxins thru perspiration. It is good for our bodies to sweat, and you can do this without stinking! That’s because these natural versions use essential oils that are antibacterial (the bacteria is what causes the odor). I recommend re-applying whenever needed. P.S. I (Lisa) found that I sweated more when I first switched from ‘anti’s’ to ‘deod’s.’ Probably, because my body was trying to release stored-up toxins! Now, I’m fine using just deodorants. Antiperspirants just aren’t worth all of the negative health effects in our opinion!

Jenny October 4, 2013 at 5:36 am

Hi Lisa!

I was just about to write an article on natural deodorants and how I cannot seem to find one I love. It’s interesting that they prevent odor but not sweat… or water… which for my whole clothes situation just wasn’t doing it for me. I started by making my own and then moving on to buying a natural one… which made me wet but not smell bad…I was so annoyed that I switched back to Dove., which I do not want.

Do ANY of them prevent being wet under the arms at all?!?!

Thanks!
Jenny

Ron & Lisa October 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

Jenny~
We hear your concerns, but sweating is a good thing. It releases toxins and it is a normal cooling response the body requires. The natural deodorants like this one fight bacteria and keep you from smelling. As many experience, you should try to let your body detox first and then, you may find you sweat less later. I, personally, only use deodorant no with no sweating problem whatsoever (ie: except at the gym, etc). Good luck!

Annie June 28, 2013 at 1:50 am

I tried many brands, and none of them really worked for me. There is one called Lavilin which is, in my opinion, the best. I use both their foot cream and underarm cream and they’re both fantastic!

Jackie July 24, 2013 at 12:51 am

Lavilin is such a cool product and smells fresh! Totally natural – I always feel really great when I use it.

Amazon has it: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lavilin

Jess March 31, 2014 at 7:26 am

One of the best natural deodorants on the market is my purebodyscent … this brand is simply amazing, no hydrogenated oils on top of everything. I am so impressed and extremely pleased with the effectiveness of this deodorant, it’s like the more I sweat the better I smell. I can actually smell myself all day. I normally don’t comment but I had to let people know about this one.

MichellSieme April 21, 2016 at 2:10 pm

I see your site needs some fresh content. Writing manually is time
consuming, there is tool for this task. Just search in g00gle for :