Feng Shui for New Buildings: 7 Essential Tips

by Guest Blogger on October 17, 2013 · 11 comments

By Carol Cannon

Feng Shui for New Buildings: 7 Essential Tips

Feng Shui is often used to correct imbalances in one’s surroundings.  Did you know that you can also create a new home or commercial space by incorporating the tools of Feng Shui?  It’s an ideal time to implement these ancient guidelines.  Here are seven tips to keep in mind when designing your ideal new residence or commercial building.

7 Feng Shui Tips for New Buildings

1. Location, location, location!  Yes, as in real estate, the location of the building is of upmost importance!  Visually inspect the surrounding buildings or land.  Be cautious if there are any angles pointing towards your future building. This one item can create “sha” –or- negative ch’i (life force)!  It is best to find another site.

2. Look at the surrounding road approach to the land.  Avoid “T” intersections with your planned building location and avoid placement in the middle of the top of the “T”.  Also, avoid locations underneath a towering power line or nearby transformer box.  Do, instead, look for healthy land; ideally with a higher elevation that can be incorporated at the rear of the building and a downward sloping expanse in the front.

3. An ideal building shape is rectangular or square.  Other shapes can be used however; they may create an imbalance in some area of life.

4. Avoid a front door with a direct line of energy towards a rear door.  It is fine to have a window at the rear, although it’s even better to have a ‘Ming Tang’ (area of transition) at the entrance.  This space will allow people to drop their worldly complaints and enter into a peace filled place.

5. Incorporate a proper door to window ratio of: 1 exterior door for every 3 windows.  Doors are the main entry of ch’i into a building.  Doors represent the adult and/or authority of the building.  Windows represent children and creativity.  A building with too few windows indicates troubled children or lack of the creative spirit.  Too many windows – and the adults/authorities will have a difficult time maintaining order!

6. Avoid a stair case directly at the front door.  The access to the second floor or lower level should not be in view of the front door.  This can cause positive ch’i to escape, and may cause issues in many areas of life.  Likewise, a split level can indicate conflicting ideas.

7. Bathrooms, fireplaces and stoves have lower energy due to drains and heat.  When locating these items, it is important that they are not within view of the front door.  At this location, any of the elements could be the impetus to financial, health, relationship and/or career issues.

Feng Shui is an amazing tool to use when designing a building.  Incorporate it early and begin to look forward to long-lasting and positive results!

Guest blogger, Carol Cannon, a graduate of the New York School of Feng Shui has been a Feng Shui Practitioner since 1993.  She is also certified as a BBEC (Building Biologie™ Environmental Consultant).  A resident of Emmaus, PA, Carol’s passion is to help people find peace and joy in their lives.  www.CarolCannonGroup.com

Marie Overfors October 18, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Hi Carol – Very interesting information. I’m an avid practitioner of tai chi and qigong where the flow of energy is key. Feng shui is fascinating… I’d like to learn more about how to apply its principles in my existing home.

Ron & Lisa October 24, 2013 at 11:37 am

Hi Marie~
It is fascinating and I love learning more about the principles each day. Carol did another great post that you may be interested in: Feng Shui Tips for More Peace, Harmony & Joy in Your Life. You can read it here: http://ronandlisa.com/2013/06/25/3-feng-shui-tips-peace-harmony-joy-life/

Carol Cannon November 4, 2013 at 8:17 am

Hi Marie,

I LOVE Tai Chi & qigong! They are Feng Shui for the body! Stay tuned to these blogs, or, feel free to email me at carol@carolcannongroup.com for your own home!

Penetavai October 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I love Feng Shui from the day I first read about it at a ice skating trip. I really enjoyed the post and look forward to more post like this:)

Ron & Lisa October 24, 2013 at 11:39 am

Thank you for your feedback Penetavai! We, too, are intrigued by the power even just a few simple changes can make!

Carol October 29, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Thank you for your comment, Penetavai! I love Feng Shui, too – and look forward to sharing more ideas!

Shari October 18, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Thanks so much! Loved the idea of : “space will allow people to drop their worldly complaints and enter into a peace filled place.”

Ron & Lisa October 24, 2013 at 11:39 am

Ditto to that Shari! We don’t know ANYONE who couldn’t use a little more of this in their life :)

Carol October 29, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I agree, Shari – there’s nothing like leaving any troubles outside the front door. :)

Marge May 6, 2016 at 2:54 pm

I was initially leery about Feng Shui until a friend swore things changed after reading Lillian Too’s Living with Good Feng Shui book and applying it into her day-to-day life. Googled it and found a copy from Noon Books (www.noon-books.com). I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, applying it and waiting for positive results. I swear life seems to just “flow” now instead of just “chug along” if you know what I mean. Money comes in from unexpected sources and relationships seem to require no effort. Life just seems happier. I can’t explain it, but it works. I guess at the end of the day that’s what it all boils down to. Super thankful I stumbled upon this and gave it a chance.

Ron & Lisa Beres May 10, 2016 at 11:39 am

Thanks for sharing Marge! Yes, I (Lisa) have read Lillian Too’s works. Appreciate your feedback on this topic and thanks for sharing the link as well. To health & happiness!