Oil Pulling: How-To

by Guest Blogger on February 6, 2014 · 11 comments

by The Dabblist

Oil Pulling: How-To

Over the past 6 months, I’ve whitened my teeth, improved my gum health, freshened my breath, sped up my metabolism, and improved my mental focus by doing just one simple thing each morning.

Oil Pulling.

Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice of swishing oil (usually sesame or coconut) in your mouth to pull out toxins and bring your body back into alignment. I’ve read many testimonials from people who have experience numerous benefits from oil pulling including: clearing up of acne, headaches, arthritis, liver problems, and even hormone imbalances.

How Do You Do It?

1.) First thing in the morning, place 1 tbsp oil in your mouth and start swishing it around.

2.) Swish for about 15-20 minutes. I find it’s easier to keep my mind off the oil by meditating, doing dishes, or making the bed.

3.) When finished, spit the oil into the trash. Avoid spitting into the toilet or sink as the oil will clog the pipes and – since it will be full of toxins – these can eventually end up back into the water system.

After spitting it out, immediately brush your teeth and perhaps use a little natural homemade mouthwash afterwards or rinse with a sea salt solution. That’s it, you’ve oil pulled.

Have you tried oil pulling? Have you seen any benefits from it? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to stay tuned for Lisa’s big x-ray reveal of her mouth – before and after oil pulling for 30 days! You don’t want to miss this!

Like this tutorial? You can find more beauty recipes and wellness DIYs on The Dabblist.

gina February 7, 2014 at 9:42 am

I have tried it and unfortunately I cant seem to stick with it! I do for a couple of weeks then stop. I find that 15-20 minutes is such a long time for me. I usually do it while reading through my emails as a distraction. I am going to try to get back into it because the benefits sound very worth it.

Lisa Beres February 7, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Hi Gina~
Yes, it was hard for me (Lisa) to start as well the first few days and 20 minutes seemed like forrrever! But, I started multi-tasking while swishing and found once my mind was off it, I didn’t notice it anymore and the time flew. Also, you may want to try a few different oils and see which one resonates with you the best: extra virgin cold pressed coconut, sunflower or olive oil. Also, sesame oil is considered one of the best oils for this ayurvedic practice. Be sure to choose a high quality and organic oil as that can make a big difference! Keep us posted!

Elizabeth February 7, 2014 at 11:17 am

I eat two tablespoons of Coconut oil daily,
never thought about swishing.. I read that eating it helps metabolism , etc… My dog has a little also .

Ron & Lisa February 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for sharing Elizabeth! Yes, coconut oil really is miraculous in terms of health benefits. It naturally contains antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Here are more health benefits from oil pulling in terms of the different oils used (and Dr. Group recommends alternating oils for maximum benefit): http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/oil-pulling/
Go fido! Thanks for sharing that your dog safely takes a bit, too.

Daniel February 11, 2014 at 7:36 am

I have been wanting to try oil pulling so that my teeth can benefit from it. Unfortunately, it seems uncomfortable to spit on the trash since spitting oil to the sink will lead to clogging. And I cannot choose between coconut oil or sesame oil. But I will try it within this week.

Ron & Lisa Beres February 11, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I agree Daniel. I’m not a fan of spitting into the trash either, but it’s a minor inconvenience in exchange for the numerous health advantages. It seems each oil has a variety of benefits and alternating is a good idea. Thus far, I have only tried coconut as the flavor is quite nice, but plan to incorporate the others eventually. Please drop back and let us know your results and how you feel!

The Healthy Apple February 13, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I love oil pulling. I just started doing this with organic coconut oil every morning and I love the way it makes my mouth feel clean! Thanks for sharing this great info Lisa; I’m bookmarking this!

Ron & Lisa Beres February 14, 2014 at 10:30 am

Awesome! Thanks for your feedback Aime! As you know, an ‘Apple’ a day keeps the Dr. away, but so does oil pulling – LOL. Just did it this a.m. in fact (I believe it’s now been 2 months straight for me) and WOW! It works wonders.

Lisa Beres February 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Our reader Jeanna had this to share about oil pulling:

Just wanted to pop in a Hello and also let you know that I have been oil pulling this whole week!! Loving the results! My teeth feel cleaner, whiter and surprisingly it gives me an energy boost! Really cool! Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you Jenna! Yes, I’ve noticed the energy boost as well :) Anyone else???