Tips to Clean Carpet Stains, Naturally!

by Ron & Lisa Beres on February 11, 2015 · 29 comments

Synthetic wall to wall carpeting in our homes isn’t ideal from a health perspective (read: Carpeting Conflicts: 4 Snag-Free Solutions). Carpet traps numerous amounts of chemicals, as reported by the University of Arizona (such as lead, arsenic and pesticides) in addition to biological contaminants like mold, pollen, dust mites, pet dander, dirt and fecal matter (um, ew!). In fact, millions of microoganisms can harbor in just one square foot of carpet. But, let’s face it – most of us still have stairways or room(s) that contain carpeting. While carpet isn’t an ideal solution for allergy sufferers, there are a few things you can do to maintain a healthy home without having to spend a fortune (yet) on your dream, sustainable hard surface flooring.

Nontoxic Recipes to Clean Carpet Stains

There’s nothing worse (well, o.k. there definitely is) than spilled coffee, red wine, pet urine or blood on your beloved carpet. Good news! You likely already have everything you need in your kitchen cabinet to effectively (and, did I mention affordably) clean your carpet naturally; without breathing in toxic chemicals. Below are some tried and true recipes you’ll want to keep on hand using vinegar, baking soda, salt and essential oils. Bonus: you can make your own nontoxic household cleaners with the above ingredients when you’re finished cleaning the carpet. After all that, you’ll want a ‘lil red carpet treatment for yourself. Add some of those essential oils to a well-earned and relaxing bath.

P.S. Be sure to vacuum weekly with a HEPA vacuum. Do you own a Dyson vacuum? If so, Ron demonstrates how to effectively clean the DC25. Click HERE to WATCH NOW!

carpet stains
Source: eReplacementParts.com & http://ghergich.com

Joe Roy March 3, 2015 at 11:34 am

Too many people turn to home cleaning solutions that aren’t eco-friendly. Little do they know that plenty of natural alternatives are probably right there in their home already. It’s just a matter of knowing how to use them properly!

Ron & Lisa Beres March 3, 2015 at 1:40 pm

So true Joe! We offer a plethora of free, DIY recipes right here on this site, in fact. All made f/ ingredients found in your kitchen. Thanks for your feedback :)

Deanna R. Jones March 24, 2015 at 11:50 am

Thanks for the tips! I’ve recently adopted a puppy. It’s been tough house breaking him, so there’s a bit of pet urine stains on my carpet that I’ve been trying to get out. This seems like a great infographic to help me know how to remove my dog’s urine stains, along with other stains. I’ll definitely be sure to mix four cups of water with two tablespoons of vinegar to get rid of the stain on my carpet from now on.

Ron & Lisa Beres March 28, 2015 at 10:42 am

First – YAY on your puppy adoption :) We experienced this with my (Lisa’s) mom in Hawaii over the holidays. Such a great gift! Let us know how this solution works for you!

J. Simmons April 3, 2015 at 5:07 am

I love the way you explained all of it. I needed a hand and you really helped me, for which I’m very thankful <3. The natural way is the best always.

Ron & Lisa Beres April 6, 2015 at 10:15 am

Indeed it is!

Shane Daley May 27, 2015 at 4:21 pm

A lot of good common sense in your post, thank’s. I personally tend to feel that a good quality carpet cleaning solution will better clean a carpet always. But that doesn’t stop people from using their home made concoctions. I see it every day, people using diy carpet cleaning solutions. Good luck to them all. But don’t write off a quality carpet pre–spray and a rinsing solution. You can expect superb carpet cleaning results every time with quality solutions.

Ron & Lisa Beres May 27, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Thanks for your feedback Shane! I would agree that a quality, professional and nontoxic cleaning job is sometimes required. In fact, we just used Orange Coast Chem Dry. They guarantee their work, the team was very professional and their product is a Green Certified cleaning solution called The Natural. It is 100% non-toxic and completely safe for children and pets.

Tom Shrill June 10, 2015 at 9:58 am

Is there much that vinegar can’t do? Vinegar seems to always be mentioned in a cleaning recipe. It seems to be able to be engaged in battle against nearly any mess!

Ron & Lisa Beres June 10, 2015 at 11:03 am

True Tom! Vinegar is amazing in so many ways – nontoxic and effective. We always have a bottle on hand and highly recommend it.

Ethel August 28, 2015 at 12:18 pm

The stain removal guide is very helpful. I drink a lot of coffee so coffee stains are quite common for my carpet! The recipes for removing stains are going to be used in my house! Blotting the spills is a good idea to avoid rubbing the stain in. Thanks for the tips!

George@Cleanthiscarpet February 1, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for tips, but we always suggest to use carpet cleaning machines for cleaning, even cheap model worrks better vinegar, and dont ruin a carpet as chemicals do

David Hawkins February 16, 2016 at 8:23 am

This is a really sweet infographic for removing stains! I wish I would have seen this sooner for coffee stains because I’m pretty sure you need to get these as soon as you can before they dry. I might try your baking soda idea anyway too see if I can lift at least a little bit of the stain out. Thanks for the info on stain removal!

Ron & Lisa Beres February 17, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Thanks David! Appreciate your feedback + glad you enjoy it.

Brian February 27, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Great article. I have used vinegar with baking soda many times to treat pet urine stains and as mentioned above, many people do not realize just how harmful some of the cleaning products in their cabinets are.

Ron & Lisa Beres February 27, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Sooo true Brian! I think you’ll also enjoy this post: Clever Ways to Clean with Vinegar AND 51 Cleaning Uses for Baking Soda. Every step we make towards a healthier home (and planet) really does matter :)

Brandi French March 25, 2016 at 6:22 am

Amazing post! The infographic it’s awesome and guides me perfectly how to maintain my carpet and to remove the different types of carpet stains. Thanks a lot for sharing!!

Ian Jameson June 29, 2016 at 3:16 am

Thanks for the article 😉
I think that professional carpet cleaning is extremely important cause you just can’t clean your carpet properly without special equipment and detergents. I know what I’m saying about cause I’m a professional carpet cleaner lol)))
If someone needs carpet cleaning services fell free to contact me here http://smile-carpet-cleaning.com/nj

lucky scarpet July 11, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Your style is unique in comparison to other
people I’ve read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this blog.

Jack Mulligan August 11, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I think I like the idea of hiring the carpet cleaners the best. I do what I can to keep my carpets clean, but I’m too busy to do enough. I’m sure a professional can do a good enough job every few months that my carpet will stay clean without excess effort from me.

NickieTSnaer August 19, 2016 at 6:06 am

Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful post. Thank you for providing these details.

Jade Brunet November 9, 2016 at 5:45 pm

I am happy to have found this article about how to naturally clean carpet stains. It is interesting to know that mold and fungi can lurk in carpet along with dirt and bacteria. For health reasons, it would be best to clean carpet regularly. Something to consider would be to seek professional help to ensure that the job is done thoroughly and correctly.

Joel November 9, 2016 at 6:56 pm

I like your infographic, it is truly an informative one. To avoid an accidental spill becoming a stain, deal with it straight away. Your carpet cleaner will be able to collect most of the liquid before it soaks in. If your carpet cleaner isn’t immediately at hand, place some sheets of kitchen roll on top of the spill to soak up as much as possible. Resist the temptation to rub! This will drive the liquid further into the carpet.

Joel
carpet repair

DMS Carpet & Upholstery Cleaners December 11, 2016 at 10:55 am

We provide professional carpet cleaning Stamford CTand know all to well that, cleaning with non-toxic/green cleaning solutions is highly effective and much safer. Thanks for the informative article!

williams stephen March 21, 2017 at 5:58 am

Hay great info and Thanks for the share :)

Here i am explaining small tip for you

Dry Extraction Method
Other home cleaning systems use a dry extraction method to wash carpet. First you spread a dry absorbent compound over the carpet being cleaned, then you vacuum it with the cleaning machine. Although they usually work better than steam cleaners, dry machines and chemicals are more expensive than steamers and wet extraction solutions.

Jeremy April 19, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Very good tips, no arguments here. You have to keep these tips in mind to help you save money.

Josh April 20, 2017 at 6:14 am

Use vinegar. If the club soda doesn’t eliminate the wine stain, mix some vinegar with water and spray around the stained area. Let it stay for about 15 minutes, then blot it away.

Ron & Lisa Beres May 3, 2017 at 10:43 am

Great tip Josh! Thanks for sharing :)

Nicky April 28, 2017 at 3:18 am

Thank you very much for that helpful information!