Frizz Free Can Be Flat-Out Dangerous!

by Guest Blogger on May 20, 2013 · 18 comments

ByAva Anderson

Frizz hair straightening

I have been battling hair frizz frustrations for years now with the help of blow dryers, straighteners, curlers and products…lots of products.  And, although I have heard all of the miraculous stories about the Brazilian Blowout I, personally, have never been tempted to undergo this treatment.  Here is why:

1.) It is Carcinogenic – The straightening process releases a chemical concoction loaded with formaldehyde; a known human carcinogen. Formaldehyde is especially hazardous when it reverts to its natural state, a gas, and is inhaled. Combined with a hot blow dryer and a 450-degree flatiron, you can bet your $400 bottom dollar that you are breathing in formaldehyde (as is the stylist and everyone else in the salon).  Frankly, this doesn’t seem worth the risk to me!

2.) Manufacturers Fib – The Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) study of 45 manufacturers of hair-straightening products found that 15 of these 16 companies claim to contain little to no formaldehyde.  However, tests reveal their products contain substantial amounts; in many cases, 8% to 20% or more of the formulation!  These include the Brazilian Blowout, Cadiveu and other top name brands.

3.) Salons Fib, Too – Either overtly or inadvertently, salons are telling clients it is safe, but it is not.  The salons’ claims usually mimic the manufacturers’ own misstatements about the safety of the product. Only 3 of Elle Magazine’s 41 top-rated salons surveyed by EWG refuse to offer hair-straightening services because of health dangers.  Nine salons claimed they used products free or nearly free of toxic chemicals, yet test results show the products are loaded with formaldehyde (EWG). If you do opt for a Keratin type, hair-smoothing process that promises to last longer than six-eight weeks – chances are you will be exposed to significant amounts of formaldehyde.

What’s a Frustrated, Frizzy-Haired Female to Do?  A good argan oil, hair treatment will do a fantastic job, but with a hidden price.  Watch out, because there is more fizz-fibbing going on here as well.  Take those bright turquoise bottles of Moroccanoil® lining the shelves in almost every salon for instance. Did you know that this best-selling natural argan oil hair treatment is comprised of only 5% (non organic) argan oil paired a plethora of toxic chemicals to accompany it? Keeping in mind that up to 100% of what we put on our scalp, underarm and groin area reach the bloodstream rather quickly, I hope you will be an Ava label reader too, and choose not to expose yourself to ingredients like these:

Moroccanoil® Ingredients (NOTE: click on links below to find the toxicity hazard rating provided by EWG.  Prepare yourself…it ain’t pretty!):

Learn more HERE!

So Here is Our Solution: Sometimes, especially in a tropical or humid environment, you’ve just got  to go with the natural curl and work it to your advantage!   For all those other times you prefer to tame the beast while achieving AVA-3-2013 imagesmooth as silk hair, we have created the perfect solution.  I am proud to say that our formulators have finally cracked the frizz problem.  We recently launched the Ava Anti Frizz Organic Argan Oil to rave reviews and ingredients we are thrilled to put our name behind.  In fact, I’ll proudly list them with full disclosure for you here:

Ingredients: argania spinosa (organic argan) oil, limnanthes alba (organic meadowfoam) seed oil, cocos nucifera (organic coconut) oil, aniba rosaeodora (organic rosewood) oil.

I founded Ava Anderson Non Toxic as a vehicle to: share this information with as many American families as possible; to create a paradigm shift on products in the U.S. through education; and to show that quality performing products can be made safely by offering a high performing alternatives (without harmful chemicals for humans and the planet). All of this while incorporating loads of organic botanical ingredients instead. Remember, when it comes to taming your mane, it doesn’t (and shouldn’t) have to be…hairy business!

Christy May 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Ava, you are spot on as always! Thanks for sharing. I have tried your Anti-Frizz hair serum. It is amazing! I use just two squirts, and work it from tip to root. Probably the most dramatic difference I have seen using this product is my sister, who I ALWAYS give her a hard time about her crazy, wild hair. She applies your Anti-Frizz serum and uses a diffuser and has BEAUTIFUL, smooth curls. Highly impressed. Great job once more <3

Ron & Lisa May 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for your feedback Christy! As a past Morocconoil user, I was shocked to discover the harmful ingredients contained within + thrilled to see Ava Anderson Non-Toxic offer a healthy solution to our frizzy woes!

Lyndsi May 20, 2013 at 12:54 pm

RonandLisa & Ava, thanks for this wonderful article and for offering a safe solution! It is great that you are keeping us all informed!!

Jen May 20, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Love, Love, and Love Ava’s anti frizz. Thanks Ava and RonandLisa for sharing!

Ron & Lisa May 21, 2013 at 10:29 am

Absolutely…we appreciate your feedback Jen!

Audrey May 20, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I am in love with the Ava Anderson anti-frizz serum. I only use one pump to my ends and I can’t believe the difference. Love, love, love it!

Melyssa May 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm

It’s scary to hear about the things women in this country are exposed to!Thank you, as always, for educating us, Ava!

Shar Mohr May 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Great info! I love rosewood oil and can’t wait to try this product to help me tame my mane. Thanks!

Sandi A May 20, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Thank you for posting this article. Living in the south with frizzy hair, Ava Anti Frizz serum has saved me. I can now confidently let my hair dry natural and have nice curls instead of frizz. My hair is beyond soft.

Alexa May 20, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I have been loving the Ava Anti-frizz serum. Works great on me & my daughter with her curls.

Beth R May 21, 2013 at 7:35 am

Even my short, naturally curly/wavy/frizzy hair loves the Ava Anderson oil! I mix one pump with my Ava Styling Cream and my LOVES it!

JM May 22, 2013 at 5:44 am

I have been using Ava’s Anti Frizz Serum now for about 3 weeks. I love it! I have frizzy and curly hair that I straighten every day. I use this serum instead of anything else – two squirts for me and when I dry my hair it is already tame. I’ve been out in the rain and humidity and no frizz or curls at all! You have to try this product! It’s truly the best one I’ve found and I’ve been looking and trying for years!

ERIN May 22, 2013 at 7:47 am

My stylist shared the benefits of a hair serum with me several years ago, but until Ava came out with hers, I struggled to find one that did not contain toxic fragrance. THANK YOU, Ava, for launching another great product that has everything I need with no harsh or harmful chemicals. My hair is the softest, healthiest, and tamest it has ever been!

johnny-amy lynn May 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

WHERE can I find this Hair Product??? And “About” what is the price for the bottle??? I am RARELY online, but Do check email Daily….if you don’t mind to EMAIL me This info i’d greatly appriatate it!!!

Ron & Lisa May 24, 2013 at 10:43 am

Yes, will email you now with the deets :)

johnny-amy lynn May 24, 2013 at 7:59 am
Beth May 24, 2013 at 5:14 pm

WOW, luckily (or unlickily) my hair is pretty poker straight and fine, so I’ve never bothered with the straighteners and anitfrizz stuff and HAD NO IDEA how insanely toxic Moroccanoil is! Thanks for the schooling!

Terri May 25, 2013 at 4:35 am

I was an avid user of Moroccan oil, even though my hair is pretty frizz free, I stopped once I found out what was in it! Yuck! If I do decide to use it again it will definitely be Ava’s frizz serum!